Randall Kemp, Highway Superintendent
General Responsibilities and Duties
- Treat (sand and/or salt) and remove snow and ice from Town roads and municipal parking lots and walks.
- Repair pot holes, crack-seal, repave and rebuild Town asphalt streets and rebuild and re-grade dirt roads and associated drainage.
- Maintenance and replacement of traffic controls such as street and traffic signs and painted road markings.
- Vegetation control (mowing grass, brush and tree cutting) along Town streets and intersections to maintain and/or improve lines-of-sight.
- Remove fallen trees and other obstructions from roadways.
- Maintain bridges and guard rails on Town roads.
- Sweep Town-owned streets and municipal parking lots, clean and maintain Town-owned Stormwater management systems (catch basins, culverts and run-offs) and other work necessary to remain in compliance with State and Federal Environmental Protection Agency Stormwater Discharges from Municipal Separate Sewer Systems (MS4) permit and other applicable regulations.
- Building maintenance and custodial duties at Town Hall, Old Town Hall/Police Station, Library, Highway Garage and the Transfer Station.
- Mow and maintain the grounds of Conant Park, Crossroads Park, Labrie Field, Center Cemetery, West Part Cemetery, William E. Norris School (including athletic fields), Town Hall, Fire Station, Police Station, Library, Highway Garage, Transfer Station, Church Hill, three Water Department stations and other Town properties.
- Operation and management of the diesel and gasoline underground storage and dispensing facility used by Town Departments (Police, Fire, Highway, School and Council on Aging) as well as all work necessary to ensure that the Town is in compliance with all applicable local and State regulations.
- Operation and management of the Moosebrook Road Transfer Station.
- Garbage pickup service and transport to the Transfer Station for: Conant Park, Crossroads Park, Labrie Field, Center Cemetery, William E. Norris School (including the athletic fields), Town Hall, Fire Station, Police Station, Library, Highway Garage and Pequot Road Water Station.
- Coordination with the Water Department Superintendent to provide staff and equipment to the Water Department whenever needed.
- Maintenance and repair of all SHD and Water Department vehicles and machines.
- Issuing of Trench permits, Permits To Open Public Ways, Curb Cut permits, and construction inspection (sub-division roadway and drainage, ball fields, etc).
- Administration of the Richard C. Allen Memorial Scholarship Award.
- Trench Permit Application
- Driveway Regulations 10_17_17
- Highway – Curb Cut Permit Form 10-27-2017
- Highway – Public Way Permit Form 10-27-2017
- Highway – Fee Schedule 10-27-2017
- Town of Southampton Stormwater Management Plan, Year 2
- Southampton Highway Garage SWPPP
- Southampton O&M Report
Stormwater and the Connecticut River Video
(Presented by the Highway Department)
Contacting the Highway Department
Office Hours: April through November – Monday-Thursday 7am to 4pm, Friday 7am to 11am
December through March – Monday-Friday 7am to 3pm
Phone: (413) 527-3666
Fax: (413) 529-0929
Office Staff: (Joesette Picard – Administrative Assistant)
8 Fomer Road
P.O. Box 379
Southampton, MA 01073